Archive for the ‘Body’ Category

Air Cleaner

Saturday, September 13th, 2014

A relatively stock height engine setup was retained in order to avoid fitment issues with the shaker since I was unwilling to fasten the shaker to the hood as some have done.  This stock style setup included a Tomahawk intake, quadrajet (built by Sean Murphy Induction), and the original 301 shaker.  With all of this there were still clearance problems.  To correct the problem I used a metal shaker base from a ’77 Trans Am and drop air cleaner from Pro-touring F-body.  I went with the EP-401 while using a 1″ air cleaner spacer.  This air cleaner setup looks to be terribly restrictive but it seems to be a fair compromise at the moment.

photo-aug-23-9-39-35-amphoto-aug-16-11-23-54-amphoto-sep-13-12-15-34-pm

The faux air inlets of the shaker were cut out to make it functional.  Some honeycomb mesh epoxied in the shaker matches the fender vents.  The drop base shown below is actually the EP-402 which I also tried.  This one however had too much drop and would require a modification of the fuel line to the quadrajet.  If  Pro-touring F-body had setup the EP-402 base for a 2″ filter instead of the supplied 3″ this would be the perfect setup in my opinion.

photo-nov-23-1-10-15-pmphoto-sep-13-10-27-08-am

If I had known earlier that modification would be required for the air cleaner I would have chosen an Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake instead of the Tomahawk.

 

Hood V

Sunday, June 29th, 2014

The hood was sanded with 1500 grit and buffed with 3M compounds.   Hood hinges are Fesler.

photo-jun-28-8-26-33-amphoto-jun-28-10-37-23-amphoto-jun-28-10-53-12-amphoto-jun-28-12-32-15-pmphoto-jun-28-1-13-56-pmphoto-jun-28-1-13-44-pm

Hood IV

Sunday, June 15th, 2014

The phoenix graphic was modified slightly to simplify the overall design.  The modified image was cut on a vinyl plotter and transferred to the hood.The pinstripe on the stock graphic was removed and a dark candy gold was filled in its place.

photo-jun-14-2-02-13-pmphoto-jun-14-3-44-15-pmphoto-jun-14-4-08-57-pmphoto-jun-14-2-32-26-pmphoto-jun-14-4-45-34-pmphoto-jun-14-4-49-51-pmphoto-jun-21-2-00-56-pm

Hood III

Saturday, February 1st, 2014

More work on the hood.  A little more filler, etch primer, and then K36 high build primer.  Underside also received etch primer followed by a few coats of Sem’s Rustshield.

photo-jan-25-10-57-41-amphoto-jan-25-11-34-38-amphoto-feb-01-2-47-05-pmphoto-feb-22-1-47-15-pmphoto-feb-22-2-01-03-pmphoto-feb-22-3-48-15-pm

Hood II

Saturday, January 18th, 2014

The remaining rust under the phoenix decal was taken care of today.  A light coat of filler filled the deep pits.  The hood got a coat of glaze after that.

Black anodized machined hood hinges from Fesler will replace the stamped steel factory hinges.  Quality of the hinges look to be excellent so far.

photo-jan-18-11-46-11-amphoto-jan-18-1-56-06-pmphoto-jan-18-2-21-00-pmphoto-jan-18-6-42-27-pm