Posts Tagged ‘Eastwood’

Floorpans in Paint

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008

The floorpans were finally painted today!  Eastwood’s two part rust converter was used on a few small patches of surface rust.  Then the entire area was scuffed with a scotchbrite pad.  The upper rocker panel was then taped off so Crest’s “Chip Coat” could be applied to the lower section only.

This was allowed to dry for an hour or so and then the floor pans and Chip Coat was sprayed with Sem’s gloss black Rust-Shield.

ta326_081227-medium.jpgta327_081227-medium.jpgta328_081227-medium.jpgta329_081227-medium.jpgta330_081227-medium.jpgta331_081227-medium.jpg

Next week the firewall will be painted with semi-gloss black and subframe will be stripped down for cleaning and paint.

Metal work done!

Sunday, November 16th, 2008

Today didn’t yield much progress but a good milestone was met.  All of the metal work on the Trans Am’s body shell is finally finished.  A square hole was cut under the windshield channel to remove the rusted area.  A square patch of sheetmetal cut to have roughly a 1/16″  gap on all sides was held in place for welding.  To match the existing contour, the patch was placed beside the cut out and lightly tapped with a body hammer to form the radius.  The patch was welded and the welds ground flush.  A thin coat of All-Metal was skimmed over the area and sanded smooth with 100 grit sandpaper on a foam block.  Eastwood’s Rust Converter was applied to the opposite side with a sponge to prevent any remaining surface rust from spreading further.

ta290_081108-medium.jpgta293_081115-medium.jpgta294_081115-medium.jpgta295_081108-medium.jpg

Damage to the t-top area was very minor.  Most of this area was taken care of while working on the roof.  A small patch and a series of welds ground smooth did the trick.  Next step will be spraying some self-etching primer on any bare metal areas and then a coat of high build primer around the windshield channel.  After that it’s on to the dreaded job of cleaning underneath the front floor pans.

Background – Trans Am

Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008

This is my first post detailing the progress of my resto-mod ‘81 Trans Am. I’ll try to keep the blog updated each week as much as possible. First a little background on the car. I bought the car around 2001 for about $2500. I was lucky enough to find a Y84 Special Edition Trans Am (or Bandit Edition as some call it).  The car originally came from Florida and wasn’t in bad shape but not great either.  It had been painted within the last decade or so with a budget paint job.  The paint was faded and all original decals gone, except for some remnants which had started to bleed back through.  After a little exhaust work from a local shop, the clogged cat was replaced and ran decently for a couple of years. It suffered from leaky t-tops as most older Trans Ams do. All that water did a number on the interior over the years. With musky old car smell and tattered seats I didn’t have much money so I drove the car as is, even as my daily driver for about 6 months when my main car died. In ’05 I decided to move away from my hometown to finish my degree in Mechanical Engineering. The car sat idle and forgotten for the next two years.

(more…)