Posts Tagged ‘Sem’

Tying Up Loose Ends

Sunday, August 16th, 2009

The Trans Am’s blower motor was masked and painted with Sem’s Gloss Black. After a few coats it was allowed to dry. Next the brake booster received its final cleaning and prep. The small plastic areas were masked and shot with Sem’s black Self Etching Primer. After a few minutes of dry time the booster was coated with Eastwood Brake Gray for a natural metal finish. Lastly, the steering box was finally mounted to the subframe. Today was mostly about tying up loose ends and getting ready for the rebuilt Pontiac 400 motor and Tremec trans. The last projects before the engine is picked up is re-wrapping the wire harness along with installing the rest of the brake and fuel lines.

Beachfront Property

Saturday, April 4th, 2009

Today all of the front steering componenets on the Trans Am were done with blasting except for the spindles. It’s taken about six 100 pound bags of sand to do the majority of the blasting. After all the parts were down to bare metal, they were thorougly wiped down with wax and grease remover to get rid of any oil or other contaminants that would affect paint adhesion. Each part was caoted with self etching primer and left to dry for about 20 minutes before SEM’s Rust-Shield semi-gloss paint was applied.

Use Eastwood’s Rust Converter With Caution

Saturday, March 28th, 2009

Today was dissapointing. Last week the two part Rust Converter/Encapsulator was applied just as the directions say. “Apply part A and wait overnight. If more protection is desired apply part B, or else scuff and apply topcoat.” I took this to mean if you are applying part B you don’t have to scuff. Evidently this is incorrect or there is something wrong with the part B Encapsulator. When it came time to scuff the part B in order to paint, much of it easily flaked off. Especially at corners and edges. I didn’t want this to bite me in the rear later so I made the hard desicion to blast it all off. This time I didn’t mess with the Eastwood stuff and used a self etching primer under a top coat of SEM’s black semi-gloss Rust-Shield paint. Fortunately blasting was a breeze this time around and it didn’t take long. The self etch primer only takes a few minutes to dry and was able to paint the sub frame today after all. I’ll keep researching what went wrong with the Eastwood rust encapsulator and post when I get a response. The sand, primer, and paint ran out so the control arms will have to wait until next week.

Floorpans in Paint

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008

The floorpans were finally painted today!  Eastwood’s two part rust converter was used on a few small patches of surface rust.  Then the entire area was scuffed with a scotchbrite pad.  The upper rocker panel was then taped off so Crest’s “Chip Coat” could be applied to the lower section only.

This was allowed to dry for an hour or so and then the floor pans and Chip Coat was sprayed with Sem’s gloss black Rust-Shield.


Next week the firewall will be painted with semi-gloss black and subframe will be stripped down for cleaning and paint.

Background – Trans Am

Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008

This is my first post detailing the progress of my resto-mod ‘81 Trans Am. I’ll try to keep the blog updated each week as much as possible. First a little background on the car. I bought the car around 2001 for about $2500. I was lucky enough to find a Y84 Special Edition Trans Am (or Bandit Edition as some call it).  The car originally came from Florida and wasn’t in bad shape but not great either.  It had been painted within the last decade or so with a budget paint job.  The paint was faded and all original decals gone, except for some remnants which had started to bleed back through.  After a little exhaust work from a local shop, the clogged cat was replaced and ran decently for a couple of years. It suffered from leaky t-tops as most older Trans Ams do. All that water did a number on the interior over the years. With musky old car smell and tattered seats I didn’t have much money so I drove the car as is, even as my daily driver for about 6 months when my main car died. In ’05 I decided to move away from my hometown to finish my degree in Mechanical Engineering. The car sat idle and forgotten for the next two years.